Wednesday 18 May 2016

Satisfaction of repairs

Doing a big bunch of repairs is so satisfying. Sometimes I find it hard to get around to the repairs hanging around the house, but once I do it's always faster than I think and suddenly a big long to do list is down to almost nothing.

Repairs done in the last batch (about 45mins):
  • Button and vent fixed on M's coat
  • Zip repaired on wiggle dress
  • Handle and zip fixed on sheep bag
  • Strap reattached to latest version of bra (I'll be posting about my attempts to make a perfectly fitting bra soon)
  • Finish a little bit of an experimental patch on the back of my jeans.
Boom! Repair list down to one item...which is going to be horribly fiddly and I'm dreading, but still: progress!

Next step: to get the red skirt I bought at the vintage fair adjusted.



This skirt
So the problems with this skirt were:
  • it's too long, and
  • it's a wrap skirt with the fun of being able to blow open at any moment.
Easy peasey.  I sewed up the side to make it into a rough tube first and then held my breath and cut off the ties.  I always hate cutting bits off a finished garment even if it's to improve it.  There's always the chance that I could be making a mistake...In this case even if I had made a mistake cutting the ties off they would have been super easy to re-attach, but I still brace myself every time.

Anyway.  Ties gone, I folded over the waistband to create a tube for the elastic.  Since the length was also a problem with this one I folded over twice to bring the hem up a bit without having to cut the skirt anymore than necessary.  Quick edgestitch round the casing and then I actually unpicked the seam I had just made in the side a teeny bit to fit some elastic through.  Once the elastic was in, I hand stitched that closed and ta dah!

So skirt.  Many wow.
I think it makes me look taller....

It was such a quick and easy alteration I did it with this one that's been sat around in my wardrobe for a year or two too.
Black!
This one was even easier as it didn't need shortening and already had a waistband I could feed elastic through and sew back up.  The waistband on this one also has belt loops so I've kept the ties and sewn them together into one belt.  It's not necessary to keep it up, but is kind of in keeping with the boho feel of it...and I won't have to brace again myself to throw them away...

No comments:

Post a Comment